Litchi is sweet and a very fragrant fruit, which is usually available in the summer. This fruit originated in China but today is found in most of the South East Asian countries. Lychee is a small fruit packed with loads of healthy nutrients. Lychee is considered an exotic fruit and has a very short shelf life. This is why it is available for a very limited time even during its season.
1. Cancer: Litchi has anti-cancer properties. This fruit has flavonoids in the pulp which helps to fight fatal and lethal diseases like cancer. It contains Flavones, quercitin and kaemferol which are powerful compounds in reducing the proliferation of cancer cells. Litchi fruit provides impressive anti breast cancer properties.
2. Heart Disease: Litchi normalizes the blood pressure and heart rate thereby protecting against strokes and coronary heart diseases. 1 glass of litchi juice daily normalizes the heartbeat. Litchi contains the second highest degree of polyphenols which promotes heart health.
3. Aids digestion: Litchi keeps the digestion strong, maintains a clean stomach, improves appetite and cures heartburn and burning sensation in the stomach. It also enhances the energy levels in the body and contributes to the well being of the family.
4. Maintains healthy bones: Litchi is a wealthy source of phosphorus and magnesium which supports powerful bones and traces minerals like copper and manganese which strengthens brittle bones. Along with zinc, copper it boosts the effectiveness of Vitamin D which increases the assimilation of calcium which maintains the health of the bones.
5. Vitamin C: Litchi is an excellent source of Vitamin C, a vitamin that body does not produce naturally. Consumption of foods rich in Vitamin C helps the body to develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful pro inflammatory free radicals. It benefits those suffering from cold, fever and sore throats.
6. Oligonol: Oligonol is a low molecular weight polyphenol found abundantly in litchi fruit. Oligonol has several anti-oxidant and anti-influenza virus actions. Oligonol decreases deep fat, raises sideline blood circulation, decreases post exercise exhaustion, raises stamina as well as reduces facial lines and brown spots.
7. Vitamin B: Litchi is also a good source of B complex vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and folates. These Vitamins help the body to metabolize carbohydrates, protein and fats. It has a high level of Beta carotene which strengthens the immune system and improves the function of liver and other organs.
8. Weight loss: Litchi is quite low in calories,contains no saturated fats or cholesterol and is rich in dietary fiber which is very significant for people who want to lose weight.
Nutritional Value of Lychee - Lychee is packed with health benefits, but they come from the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients in the fruit, including vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, riboflavin, folate, copper, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, and manganese. Furthermore, lychee is a great source of dietary fiber, protein, and a good source of proanthocyanidins and polyphenolic compounds.