Double Chin!! This is a common problem faced by all people. A double chin is a layer of fat under the skin which usually occurs around the neck and sags down. There are quite a few reasons and factors involved in the formation of a double chin. Some of the more common include gaining too much weight, and living an inactive lifestyle. Also, as we grow older the skin does lose its elasticity, which causes it to sag around the neck and chin, giving rise to a double chin. You can make this double chin disappear without going for expensive surgeries. A list of exercises that will aid in toning your neck and chin muscles. Double chin exercises can help you tone the muscles of your face and jaw, firm skin along the jaw line and get rid of excess fat to diminish your double chin. Whatever the cause of your double chin, these exercises can help reduce its size and improve its appearance.
1. Tongue press Sit down on a chair with your back straight and shoulders relaxed. Tilt your head back and look at the ceiling while sitting. Once in this position, press your tongue against the roof of the mouth. Then, without rounding your back, lower your chin to your chest. Then relax your tongue and go back to the starting position. Repeat the exercise 15 to 20 times.
2. Pout and tilt This exercise can be done sitting down or standing up. From a standing or sitting position, you want to form a pout by sticking out your lower lip as far as you possibly can. Hold this contraction for one second. Then while holding your lip out, and without rounding your upper back, lower your chin to your chest .Relax and return to the starting position. Do two sets of 20 such reps.
3. Kiss the Ceiling Start by raising your chin and tilting your head to face the ceiling. Now pucker your lips in a kissing position and hold that pose for at least 10 seconds. This exercise works by stretching most of the facial muscles including the jaw, throat, chin and neck. You should keep your eyes fixed on the ceiling. While holding the positing, you should feel a tightening in your neck and chin. Now relax, and return to the starting position. You would want to repeat this 10 to 15 times so that the double chin vanishes quite quickly.
4. Pigeon Stand or sit with a straight back. Place the thumb and index finger of one hand under the jawbone on opposite side. While keeping your hand firm and still, push your neck and head forward like a pigeon bobs his head. Hold this position for 30 seconds and then relax to come back to the starting position. Do three sets.
5. Roll Your Neck Rolling the neck is one of the most effective exercises for getting rid of a double chin. Rolling your neck was and still is one of the fruitful moves to keep the muscles of your chin, neck and jaw toned, strong and flexible. It helps in tightening the skin of the neck and reducing the appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin. It also makes you free of stress and brings good sleep. To begin, stand or get seated with your spine straightened. Turn your head to one side so that your chin and shoulder are parallel to each other. Slowly turn it to your back and complete one rotation. . Remember to keep your spine straight and shoulders down at all times. Repeat it in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Chin Lifts This is one of the exercises for double chin designed to strengthen and tighten muscles in your neck and face. It helps in working and stretching most of the facial muscles including the jaw, throat and neck. But make sure not to use any other facial muscle other than the lips while doing this exercise. To perform the chin lift, stand or sit with your spine erect. Begin by tilting your head towards the ceiling, keeping your eyes fixed towards it. Now, make your lips tight, as if trying to kiss the ceiling. Hold your lips in a puckered position for a five-count and relax. Repeat the exercise 5 to 10 times.
7. The Jaw Release This is another effective exercise for double chin reduction and to tone the cheek muscles as well. In a seated or standing position, elongate your spine for a tall, straight back. , keeping your lips together, move your jaws down and up, as if you were chewing. Breathe in deeply through your nose and the slowly exhale while humming. When you finish the exhale, open your mouth as wide as possible with the tip of your tongue gently pressed against the back of your bottom teeth. Hold this pose for 5 seconds and continue breathing in and out. You want to complete 2 reps of this exercise.
8. Head Lifts This exercise requires you to lay on your bed face-up, with your neck on the bed’s edge, and your head hanging off the side in a relaxed manner. Contracting the muscles at the front of your neck, slowly lift and curl your head toward your chest as far as you can while keeping your shoulders flat on the bed. You then hold this position for 10 seconds, and being careful that your head does not drop, relax your neck slowly to return your head back to the starting position. Repeat 3-4 times. But if you feel dizzy at the end of first rep, just sit up and take a break before repeating it.