Refreshingly sweet in taste, papayas are bright, pear-shaped, exotic fruits that you’ll easily find in the market throughout the year. Enclosing hundreds of black, rounded gelatinous seeds, the soft, edible orange flesh of papayas is actually nutritious, offering numerous health benefits.
Health Benefits of Papaya:
1. Skin & Papaya- It is great for the skin and can be used as a facepack to get its benefits. It helps to get rid of acne and skin infections as it helps to open clogged pores. It is good to cure the skininfections and wounds that don’t heal quickly.
2. Cholesterol & Papaya- As it is a fruit that is rich in fiber it lowers blood cholesterol levels. It contains enzymes that help prevent oxidization of cholesterol, which in return helps to prevent heart-attacks.
3. Anti-ageing & Papaya- The antioxidants in papaya help in controlling premature ageing. This quality of the papaya helps you to get a younger look.
4. Intestinal Worms & Papaya- The seeds of papaya too possess medicinal properties. They are very good in treating intestinal worms in the body.
5. Constipation & Papaya- Papaya helps in preventing constipation and aids in digestion. The enzyme papain is a digestive enzyme that helps in natural digestion.
6. Colon & Papaya- Its juice helps in curing infections of the colon by clearing the pus and mucus from it. You need to take it regularly to heal quickly.
7. Weight Loss & Papaya- It is low in calories and high in nutritional values. Hence, it is a good food for those who want to lose some weight.
8. Morning Sickness & Papaya- In pregnant ladies, regular consumption of a small slice of papaya helps to cure nausea and morning sickness.
9. Osteoporosis & Papaya- It contains anti-inflammatory enzymes that help in relieving pain for those who are suffering from arthritis, edema and osteoporosis, and it also possesses anti-cancerous properties that can help prevent cancer.
10. Immunity & Papaya- It is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C that help in boosting the body’s immunity and hence is very good for those who are suffering from fever, cold or flu.
12. Menstrual Irregularities & Papaya- It helps in controlling the menstrual irregularities in women. Papaya helps to ease menstrual cramps and helps in promoting regular flow of menstruation.
13. Liver cancer & Papaya juice- As it has anti-proliferative effect on liver cancer cells it stops or slows down the growth of the cancer cells of liver and helps in its cure.
14. Contraception & Papaya- Research with adult male languor monkeys has shown that it has contraceptive capability and maybe it has similar effect in adult males too.
15. Kidney disorder & Papaya- In poison related kidney disorder it was found that the aqueous seed extract of the unripe mature fruits of papaya induces antioxidant and oxidative free radical scavenging and help kidney to recover.
16. Dengue Treatment and Papaya - Researchers have found that the juice obtained from the papaya leaves helps in the dengue fever treatment. The extract obtained from the papaya leaf increases the platelet count also known as thrombocytes in patients with dengue fever.
Nutritional Values of Papaya:
Papaya comes loaded with nutrients. Every part of a papaya tree, from the fruit to the leaves contains some medicinal properties. The nutritional values of papaya per 100 grams are:
Energy- 163 kJ Calories- 39 kcal Sugars- 5.90 gram Carbohydrates- 9.81 gram Dietary fiber- 1.8 gram Fat- 0.14 gram Protein- 0.61 gram Vitamin A- 328 micrograms (41%) Vitamin B1- 0.04 milligram (3%) Vitamin B2- 0.05 milligram (4%) Vitamin B3- 0.338 milligram (2%) Vitamin B6- 0.1 milligram (8%) Vitamin B9- 38 milligram (10%) Vitamin C- 61.8 milligram (74%) Calcium- 24 milligram (2%) Iron- 0.10 milligram (1%) Magnesium- 10 milligram (3%) Phosphorus- 5 milligram (1%) Potassium- 257 milligram (5%) Sodium- 3 milligram (0%)